DCC is based in Wheat Ridge, CO, and we love it here!
Congratulations on your move to Wheat Ridge, Colorado! Often overshadowed by its more famous neighbors like Denver and Golden, Wheat Ridge offers a unique blend of suburban tranquility and easy access to urban amenities. Whether you're an outdoor enthusiast, a foodie, or someone who enjoys community-driven events, Wheat Ridge has a lot to offer. In this blog post, we'll explore some of the essential activities and attractions to add to your to-do list as you get acquainted with your new home.
Discovering Wheat Ridge’s Main Streets
Wheat Ridge may be a small city, but its heart is full of charm. Wandering through the streets will provide you with a sense of the community's character and history.
- W 38th Avenue: This street features a variety of shops, eateries, and cafes that showcase the local flavor.
- Four Seasons Farmers and Artisans Market: Open year-round, offering fresh produce and handmade crafts.
- The Greenbelt: A relaxing green space that cuts through the city, perfect for walks and cycling.
- 44th Avenue: The red-headed-stepchild to 38th, 44th has a ton to offer all the way along it from Tennyson to Golden. Coffee shops, restaurants, pickle ball courts nearby Kipling, and of course Prospect Park and Clear Creek Trail. Don't forget to visit Heini's Market off 44th and Tabor Street in the summer!
Colorado is famous for its natural beauty, and Wheat Ridge offers a plethora of opportunities for outdoor activities.
- Crown Hill Park: A local favorite for jogging, walking, bird-watching, and enjoying the beauty of the lake.
- Discovery Park: A modern park space with unique playgrounds and an amphitheater for events.
- Prospect Park and Clear Creek Trail: Great for a bike ride or a run, connecting you to Golden and beyond. And on a hot day, you can hop right in the creek! (Keep an eye out for crawfish, though!)
Arts and Cultural Outlets
If you appreciate arts and culture, Wheat Ridge will not disappoint.
- The Teller Street Gallery & Studios: Visit to get a taste of local art or even take a class.
- Wheat Ridge Historic Park: Learn about the city’s history through its restored historic buildings and museum.
- Concerts in the Park: Seasonal concerts that bring the community together through music.
Food and Drink
Wheat Ridge offers a range of dining options, from family-friendly eateries to spots perfect for a date night.
- Colorado Plus Brew Pub: A must-visit for craft beer enthusiasts, offering 56 taps.
- West 29th Restaurant & Bar: Ideal for those looking for a fancier dining experience.
- Clancy's Irish Pub: For when you’re in the mood for some hearty comfort food and live music.
If you’ve moved with your family, you'll find Wheat Ridge to be incredibly accommodating.
- Anderson Pool: A great place to cool off in the summer, with features like a lazy river and a diving board.
- Skate Park: A haven for skateboarders, located at Discovery Park.
- Fruitdale Park and Dog Park: Perfect for a family outing and also a treat for your four-legged family members.
Seasonal Events and Festivals
Keep an eye on the community calendar for seasonal festivities like the Wheat Ridge Carnation Festival, a summer event that includes a parade, fireworks, and carnival games. The holiday lighting ceremony and community picnics are also great ways to get to know your neighbors.
Wheat Ridge, Colorado is more than just a convenient suburb; it's a community that offers a lifestyle filled with natural beauty, cultural richness, and neighborly warmth. No matter your interests, you're sure to find activities and spots that resonate with you as you settle into your new home. Welcome to Wheat Ridge, and happy exploring!
PS - You're in Jefferson County now, so unlike Denver, compost collection isn't part of weekly trash pickup! If you want weekly composting pickup for your home kitchen food scraps, sign up here for just $19/mo!